This is a comprehensive guide on how to use the WP.one staging environment for secure updates. It is your go-to tool for making changes to plugins, themes, and the platform itself without affecting your live production pages.
- What is the staging environment?
- Activating the staging environment
- Automatically backing up your pages
- Accessing the staging environment
- Managing your staging environment
What is the staging environment?
The WP.one staging environment is a secure space where you can make changes without impacting your live website. This ensures that these alterations won't disrupt your site's functionality. You can also use it for tasks like installing new themes and small-scale site rebuilding. However, it's important to note that it's not intended for building an entirely new website from scratch.
Activating the staging environment
To activate the staging environment, follow these steps:
- Log in to WP.one.
- Go to Sites at the top of the screen.
- Click on WP Admin to the far right of the corresponding domain.
- In your WP Admin, click WP.one in the menu to the left.
- Navigate to Staging in the WP.one plugin menu.
- Press the Enable Staging button.
- That's it!
Afterwards, you'll see a message at the top of the page indicating that the requested function is being executed. Please be patient as the process runs in the background. The message will disappear once the staging environment is created, and your page will update accordingly.
Automatically backing up your pages
It's important to note that when you create, update, or export the staging environment to production, a backup of both pages is taken before any copying occurs. This ensures that your content is safe and can be restored if needed.
Accessing the staging environment
After activating the staging environment, you can now access it via your WP Admin:
- Click the Production button in the top bar of your WordPress Admin panel.
- Select the Enter Staging option to switch to the staging environment.
- Enter your WordPress login details.
- That's it!
Managing your staging environment
You have several options for managing your development environment:
- Update Staging: To bring new information from the production site into the staging environment, click the Update Staging button.
- Disable Staging: When you no longer need the staging environment, it's recommended to disable it. Simply click the Disable Staging button.
- Replacing Production: In some cases, you may want to bring your staging environment directly into production mode. However, you should be careful when doing this, as it replaces the entire production space, including the database. To use this feature, click on the REPLACE production mode with staging environment information button. But be cautious, especially if you are running an online shop.
If you have any questions or encounter any issues, you are welcome to contact our support team for assistance. To get in touch with them, you can use the chat button available in the WP.one dashboard. Alternatively, you can use the contact buttons at the bottom of this page.